The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking an Education Director. Under the supervision of the Early Childhood Director, the Education Director will play a critical role in providing social and emotional support in the classroom for teachers, children and families. The Education Director will also be responsible for creating a safe and positive environment for children in our Early Childhood Center. The Education Director will provide coaching as well as opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth for staff and participants via creating and facilitating lessons and activities as well as any other duties that are needed for the department.
- Ensure each student's health and safety at all times through close supervision and adherence to our daily protocols.
- Work with families to share observations of children and provide referrals for formal special needs evaluations when applicable.
- Create and maintain a strength based, child focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of children with learning, emotional and/or behavioral differences.
- Lead workshops for staff and caregivers around child development, behavior management, as well as social and emotional wellness.
- Lead teachers through reflective practices that deepen their teaching practice.
- Spearhead parent communication and establish strong relationships with our children/families.
- Document, track, and maintain regular progress and academic records of designated participants. Provide feedback regarding participant progress as needed.
- Support enrollment initiatives designed to grow the Early Childhood Center’s program.
- Conduct social and emotional assessments for all classrooms.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for staff.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Early Childhood Center to participants, caregivers, and staff.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with staff, participants, parents and guardians through regular communication about children’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Collaborate with the Early Childhood Director and EC team and reflect on programming to ensure that we are current in our pedagogy, developmental benchmarks, and approaches to learning.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Education or a related field. MA preferred. Teaching credentials preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth in an academic environment. Experience in facilitating workshops for caregivers and staff in developmentally appropriate practices for the social and emotional wellness of children.
- Possess an understanding and knowledge of early childhood development, including expertise in trauma.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. General knowledge of MS Teams, Zoom and other online learning platforms.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. To be considered for this position, please attach your proof of COVID-19 vaccination, along with your resume.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities