Director, Sports & Healthy Lifestyles
Salary: $66,000 - $67,000
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Park Slope Armory YMCA is seeking a Director, Sports & Healthy Lifestyles who will provide leadership to the Healthy Lifestyles departments to deliver consistent, quality healthy lifestyles programming to meet the needs of members and the community. The Director is responsible for member safety, program development and quality, implementing best practices and building member relationships, strategic planning, and budget control. The position carries out the Mission and Vision of the Y, and adheres to Y values when dealing with staff, volunteers, and members. The incumbent will directly supervise the fitness center, equipment, personal training, group exercise youth sports and leagues.
- Plans, schedules and evaluates all healthy lifestyles programming.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests. Outstanding hospitality is acting as a proactive agent - initiating a professional relationship with the members in regard to their needs, concerns, and questions and acting as an agent to accommodate the member’s needs/concerns.
- Recruit, train, supervise, coach and evaluate all Healthy Lifestyle staff and volunteers
- Adhere to Association Healthy Lifestyles standards and guidelines
- Develop, control and track departmental budgets in accordance with branch and association guidelines
- Serves on the branch leadership team for strategic planning and operations management. Ensures integration of the Healthy Lifestyle programs into the overall branch and association strategic plans
- Serve as a branch liaison to the YMCA of Greater NY for Healthy Lifestyle Cabinet.
- Assists in Annual Campaign efforts.
- Work within the community to foster a positive image of the YMCA to encourage good public relations by going into the community to support local health fairs, special events, etc.
- Directs the scheduling, management, maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment pertaining H&W areas (in partnership with the building department)
- Research, facilitate and build quality programs that build member retention and provide member satisfaction
- Set annual priority objectives-improve service based on annual staff evaluations or customer evaluation/feedback
- Uphold all association policies and demonstrate core values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty
- Maintain required certifications, tracked in Club Connect.
- Actively participate in training sessions and designated meetings.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Support community and promotional special events as needed.
- Serve as branch Manager on Duty as assigned.
- Work with Board of Managers and Committees as necessary.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, or a related degree or commensurate experience in fitness management
- CPR/AED and First Aid.
- Minimum three (3) to five (5) years in fitness supervisory/management position.
- Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y.
- Foundations of Listen First.
- Principles of Member Health & Wellness.
- Foundations of Strength and Conditioning.
- Foundations of Group Exercise.
- Applicable industry certifications.
- Fitness trends, fitness equipment and customer service.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities