Director, Healthy Lifestyles
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We will be opening a new state-of-the-art 50,000 square foot YMCA and we are seeking an experienced leader that is drawn to the diversity and energy of New York City, while also interested in serving a residential neighborhood to join our team as the Director, Healthy Lifestyles of the La Central YMCA located at 430 Westchester Avenue in the South Bronx.
The La Central YMCA seeking a Director, Healthy Lifestyles who will provide direction and leadership for the Healthy Lifestyles department. The Director, Healthy Lifestyles will be responsible for strategic planning, program development, volunteer/committee development, facility management, and Human Resources. The incumbent will also enforce the YMCA of Greater New York mission, vision and values in the areas of staffing and member retention.
- Recruit, develop, train, evaluate and supervise staff and volunteers.
- Plan, schedule and evaluate all related programs and services.
- Provide outstanding hospitality to all members and guests.
- Develop, track and control the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association guidelines.
- Assist in Annual Campaign efforts.
- Direct the scheduling, maintenance and repair of department areas and equipment.
- Research, facilitate and build quality programs that provide member satisfaction.
- Work within the community to foster a positive image and encourage good public relations.
- Serve on Branch Leadership Team and as liaison to the Association’s Healthy Lifestyles Cabinet.
- Set annual priority objectives to improve service, based on annual evaluations and feedback from staff, members, volunteers, and guests.
- Understand, promote, model, and communicate the YMCA’s core values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty.
- Maintain required certifications, tracked in Club Connect.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures, and take appropriate action for emergency situations.
- Serve as branch Manager-on-Duty (MOD), as assigned.
- Work with the Board of Managers and Committees, as needed.
- Attend hospitality training within ninety (90) days of hire.
- Actively participate in all trainings, designated meetings and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology or related field preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a fitness supervisor / management position.
- Commensurate experience in fitness management.
- Current CPR, First Aid, AED certifications.
- ACSM, NASM, NSCA, AFAA or ACE certifications are a plus.
- Knowledge of fitness trends, fitness training, Foundation of Strength and Conditioning, Group Exercise and Listen First, and Principles of Member Health & Wellness.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, a plus.
- Excellent hospitality, interpersonal and communications skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities