Director, Communications & Media
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We are seeking a strategic and innovative leader to join our team as a Director of Communications & Media. Under the supervision of the SVP, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, the Director of Communications & Media will elevate the Y’s visibility, brand, and impact through integrated internal and external communications strategies.
- Direct public relations, thought leadership, employee communications, CEO communications, and crisis communications.
- Understand the earned media environment and pitch the Y narrative and associated human interest stories to the appropriate channels.
- Develop and manage annual communications calendar, serving as team project manager to advance Y initiatives.
- Collaborate closely with digital, marketing, and content teams to communicate about the Y through the website, social media, and email marketing.
- Act as a thought partner with CMO and other senior leadership to advance the Y’s narrative and protect the Y’s reputation.
- Manage major institutional messaging and collateral.
- Work with Fund Development department to develop fundraising messaging and materials.
- Manage relationships with multiple agencies, vendors and our lead external communications partners.
- Serve as Y spokesperson, as needed.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, English, or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience working in nonprofits, corporate communications, or brand management roles.
- Minimum of five (5) years of media relations experience.
- Demonstrated success in leading internal and external communications strategy.
- Strong and demonstrated storytelling skills.
- Fearless and tenacious approach in managing external media.
- Ability to strategize and work on a team with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Center in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities