Day Camp Director
SALARY: $1,275.00 PER WEEK
FULL-TIME / SEASONAL
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
Summer Camp season is quickly approaching and the Ridgewood YMCA is currently accepting applications for Day Camp Director to work at our Summer Camp located at 100 Hester Street. Our camps are seeking the “best of the best” candidates to ensure that our campers have the best summer of their lives.
Y Day Camp
There is an energy and magic to summer camp that cannot be replicated. Throughout the gyms, classrooms, playgrounds, campgrounds, buses and trains, campers can be heard laughing, singing, playing and learning. Y Camps provide an exciting camp experience in a safe and accepting environment and enhance campers’ self-confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills.
Is this the job for you?
Do you want to work for an organization that continuously strives to make a positive impact in NYC? The Y is in all 5 boroughs. We serve 13,000 campers by providing fun, safe and positive experiences for kids.
Who are we looking to hire?
We are looking for people who enjoy working with youth. People who are creative, have a passion about teaching youth new skills, are enthusiastic and model our four core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility. We are looking for people who can provide a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction and academic/personal growth.
What’s in it for you?
Aside from being a part of a greater movement and actively playing a role in developing our next generation, the Y offers so much more:
- Build your resume with marketable skills that include teamwork, creativity, communication and leadership.
- Receive 40 hours of training which are great to list on your resume.
- Work for an organization that consistently raises the bar and always looks towards being innovative – did you know the Y invented basketball?
- Have fun – while this is a serious job and safety is our number one priority, we conduct our days with all things fun.
- Take advantage of discount offers to Broadway plays, movie theaters, sporting events, comedy clubs and other special events throughout New York City, via our “Plum Benefits” program.
- Get a free gym membership. Our seasonal staff receive an individual, adult membership for the time of their employment at their assigned branch.
A day in the life of a Day Camp Director:
The Day Camp Director is responsible for the overall leadership of the day camp program, including supervision of staff and volunteers, fiscal management and day-to-day operations. The Day Camp Director is charged with ensuring the delivery of quality programming, which includes all Y, Department of Health and funder standards, expectations and regulations. The Day Camp Director is expected to develop and maintain effective relationships with Y staff, school partners, funders, donors, care givers, community members, and other organizations; promotes an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants, and a positive camp spirit.
Want more information on Camp? – click here.
What is it like to be at the Y for a day? Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at all the amazing programs and activities that take place every day at New York City’s Y. Spend a day with us – click here.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a program area related to working with youth or equivalent.
- At least two years of experience managing a high volume day camp and supervising staff.
- Day Camp Director Y-USA training and certification is mandatory.
The summer day camp season begins June 29th and ends on August 21st. You must also attend, and successfully complete, 40 hours of pre-camp training.
How to apply?
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you have the fun, caring and engaging personality to be a part of our Y Day Camp family, please send your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Day Camp Director” to email@example.com or to:
Attn: Sabrina Snyder
69-02 64th Street
Ridgewood, NY 11385
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities