SALARY: $20.00 - $28.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a Dance Instructor who will be responsible for choreographing and teaching dance classes to children/teens with a focus to promote the enjoyment of dance activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence, and teaching basic skill development in dance.
We are currently hiring for Dance Instructors in the following areas: Ballet, Hip Hop, Jazz & etc.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines.
- Provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all participants and create an all-inclusive and supportive learning environment.
- Create a written lesson plan for the program session that is age-appropriate and progressive, as needed.
- Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills in dance.
- Modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of the participants.
- Create an environment that is encouraging to all participants regardless of skill level.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Record accurate attendance for all classes.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Attend YMCA Coaching within 90 days of employment.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience teaching dance to children/teens in a structured setting.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Content expert in designated areas of dance.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including afternoons, evening, weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities