Dance Instructor - Ballroom
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a Ballroom Instructor who will be responsible for working with Adults to promote the enjoyment of dance activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence and teaching basic skill development.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide a fun, positive and safe experience for all participants.
- Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Create a written lesson plan for the program session that is age-appropriate and progressive, as needed.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Be able to modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of the participants.
- Create an environment that is encouraging to all participants regardless of skill level.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Record accurate attendance for all classes.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Attend YMCA Coaching within 90 days of employment.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience teaching ballroom dance in a structured setting.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Content expert in designated areas of ballroom.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Dance Instructor - Ballroom” to email@example.com or to:West Side YMCA
Attn: Cassandra Richards
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities