Community School Director
SALARY: $58,000 - $70,000
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Bronx YMCA is seeking an experienced professional who will be responsible for the implementation, integration, alignment, and coordination of the community school strategy at PS 154. The Community Schools Director will ensure that the Community School program meets all school, Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York and funder standards, expectations and regulations. The Director will work collaboratively with the principal and School Leadership Team, and will provide oversight to the strategy, systems, supervision, and structure of the program. Other responsibilities include planning, organizing, and implementing structured programming and services for both students and families. The Community Schools Director will ensure a high level of quality, communication, and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Recruit, train and supervise full time and part time staff and volunteers by monitoring performance; providing support, coaching and recognition; and holding staff accountable for performance expectations.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants; and promotes a positive school spirit.
- Implement a menu of needs-driven, high-quality programs and services in adherence with the community school model.
- Develop and grow community partnerships while creating and tracking a resource referral system for youth and families.
- Support the planning of all community school activities, ensure that all Y program expectations are executed and coordinate use of branch facilities for program activities and events, when possible.
- Coordinate needs and resource assessment activities on an ongoing basis.
- Represent the initiative in various public forums as needed, and participate in advocacy activities to promote community schools or the YMCA.
- Actively participate in the School Safety Team and Attendance Team meetings; as well as convene Community School Leadership Team discussions, to identify needs, set priorities and coordinate the strategy.
- Develop and implement an orientation session, in collaboration with the school, for families before the first day of programming.
- Maintain positive relationships and communication with guardians and community members throughout the year.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Authorize weekly staff schedules and manage payroll expense by regularly reviewing and approving hours worked in ADP. Also, manage and track volunteer hours.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in the Community School.
- Support the research / evaluation of the community school by supervising, and coordinating the collection of, and entry of data, timely submission of reports and responses to other requests for information.
- Understand and communicate the schools mission, the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Community School model to staff, participants, and care givers. Ensure that all communication is reflective of the collaborative partnership of the school and the YMCA.
- Ensure the alignment and integration of all programming with the principal’s vision and school day curriculum to the fullest extent possible.
- In collaboration with the school administration, Parent Coordinator and Guidance Counselors, respond to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Participate in capacity-building activities, including initiative-wide and site-based trainings, networking meetings, special events, and site visits. Support the development and facilitation of required trainings.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants by understanding, maintaining, and ensuring that staff and participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or related field working with youth. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience working in school based settings, with knowledge about tenants of community organizing, student support services, and youth development theories
- Ability to work effectively with school aged youth, educators, families and communities from a wide range of cultural, social and economic backgrounds.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
- DOE fingerprinting and background clearances.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promote participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Community School Director” to email@example.com or to:Bronx YMCA
Attn.: Sharlene Brown
2 Castle Hill Avenue
Bronx, New York 10473
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities