Community School Director - PS 111
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The YMCA of Greater New York is seeking a Community School Director who, under the supervision of the Director of Middle School & Community Programming, will play a critical role in the successful operation of the Community School Program at PS111 located at 3740 Baychester Ave, The Bronx, NY 10466. The Community School Director will be responsible for providing leadership, oversight and support, and ensuring quality program execution. Through strong Branch, staff, family, community, and school relationships, the Community School Director will work towards accomplishing the program’s vision and goals.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants, by understanding, maintaining, and ensuring that staff and participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Report all incidents in accordance with the Y policies and procedures.
- Manage the day-day-day operations of the Community School.
- Coordinate with the school in accessing needs and addressing how needs can be met.
- Participate in regular school meetings including, SLT, Attendance Meeting, etc.
- Assist the Youth & Family Director in leadership and oversight of the community school.
- Assist the Youth & Family Director in Counselors and activity staff supervision by monitoring performance; providing support, coaching and recognition; and holding staff accountable for performance expectations.
- Work with Counselors to plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans, and special events.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for program activities. Assume responsibility for the cleanliness and organization of the room, program supplies, and activity space.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants and promotes a positive program spirit.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Support the planning of all community school activities including ELT activities, family workshop, and food pantry.
- Observe and assess the individual needs of children; handle student related problems.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (participant files, data entry, attendance, sign in /out forms, behavior/ incident / accident reports, and licensing requirements).
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information, including compiling program statistics.
- Through regular communication, develop and maintain positive relationships with school stakeholders, parents and guardians.
- Support the development and facilitation of required pre-program trainings.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events. Attend all required trainings.
- Adhere to all Office of Community Schools, Department of Education, Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals to participants and caregivers.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, in a program area related to working with youth, required.
- Minimum of (2) years of experience working with youth, adults and families, preferably in a program setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Google Classroom/Zoom preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Community School Director - PS 111” to NortheastBronxYCamp@ymcanyc.org or to:YMCA of Greater New York – PS111
Attn.: Marie Choi
5 West 63rd Street, 6th floor
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities