Census Outreach Captain
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Rockaway YMCA is seeking a Census Outreach Captain who will work with the Public Affairs team, a YMCA branch, and external partners to build awareness and mobilize census response efforts. The Census Outreach Captain will be responsible for coordinating neighborhood-based efforts related to Census 2020.
The assignment will begin in January, 2020 and end in late June, 2020. The exact dates and work schedule are flexible, provided you can work approximately 25 hours each week.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with community and government partners.
- Engage in extensive community outreach, both through formal partners such as houses of worship and informal spaces such as barber shops.
- Coordinate the implementation of census plan at the Rockaway YMCA branch, including distributing educational materials, helping organize community forums, and organizing volunteers for pop-up census centers.
- Track and compile data from neighborhood efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of six (6) months of experience developing and maintaining external partnerships, and community organizing.
- Familiarity with New York City a must.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of Publisher or other design program.
- Knowledge of census process desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bilingual in English and one or more of the following languages, is preferred but not required: Spanish, French and/or Russian.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this opportunity, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
Please submit the resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document.
Please note that due to the high level of applications we receive, it is not always possible for us to respond to each applicant in person.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities