Census Outreach Captain
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Jamaica YMCA is seeking a Census Outreach Captain who will work with the Public Affairs team, a YMCA branch, and external partners to build awareness and mobilize census response efforts. The Census Outreach Captain will be responsible for coordinating neighborhood-based efforts related to Census 2020.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with community and government partners.
- Engage in extensive community outreach, both through formal partners such as houses of worship and informal spaces such as barber shops.
- Coordinate the implementation of census plan at the Jamaica YMCA branch, including distributing educational materials, helping organize community forums, and organizing volunteers for pop-up census centers.
- Track and compile data from neighborhood efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of six (6) months of experience developing and maintaining external partnerships, and community organizing.
- Familiarity with New York City a must.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of Publisher or other design program.
- Knowledge of census process desired.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter and resume with subject line “Census Outreach Captain – Jamaica” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:YMCA of Greater New York
Attn.: Human Resources
5 West 63rd Street – 6th Floor
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities