SALARY: $47,476.00 - $55,000.00
FULL-TIME / SEASONAL
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The New York YMCA Camp, located in Huguenot, NY, is seeking a Sleepaway Camp Director who, under the supervision of the Senior Operations Director, will be responsible for the administration and operation of safe and quality programs which promote the four core values of the YMCA: honesty, caring, respect and responsibility for youth at Camp McAlister and Talcott. The incumbent will ensure qualified staff are recruited, trained, supervised and retained to provide an enjoyable and beneficial camp experience for campers to encourage their retention. Additionally, the Camp Director will market all resident summer programs in order to reach budgeted camper weeks, and order summer camp supplies.
- Develop quality programs that assure camper safety, increased enrollment and high rate of camper return.
- Direct the operation of McAlister and Talcott summer camp programs.
- Plan and implement the recruiting, training, supervision and evaluation of summer staff.
- Effectively market all resident summer programs to existing and prospective campers.
- Plan and manage fiscal operation of Camp McAlister and Talcott.
- Coordinate training and certification of staff to ensure health department requirements and ACA standards are met.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise occasional special programs as required.
- Oversee implementation of Teen Leaders Club program.
- Assist with other branch program delivery as needed.
- Serve as Director-On-Call for larger facility as part of the regular rotation.
- Establish and enforce Greater New York YMCA and Camp safety and risk management procedures and staffing policies in all aspects of resident summer camp.
- Maintain positive relations with program and youth directors at YMCA of Greater New York’s branches, to encourage their support for our camp.
- Ensure all facilities and equipment for successful programs are provided.
- Uphold and demonstrate the core values of the YMCA. (Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Honesty)
- Maintain YMCA, ACA, and New York State Health Department standards both on and off camp, as well as rules and policies of outside agencies being utilized.
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation or related field required.
- Minimum of two years of camp administration and large group programming experience.
- Minimum of two years of staff development, budget development and management experience.
- Experience working with diverse groups of young people.
- Proven abilities in program marketing and public speaking skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. We are accepting applications until June 10th.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Camp Director” to email@example.com or to:New York YMCA Camp
Attn.: Mary Gifford Smith
160 Big Pond Road
Huguenot, NY 12746
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities