Building & Grounds Superintendent
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The North Brooklyn YMCA is seeking a qualified individual who will provide leadership to the overall operation of the mechanical, housekeeping and life safety systems of the North Brooklyn YMCA, including preventative and routine maintenance, fire safety, security, and pool operating systems. The Building & Grounds Superintendent’s primary responsibility is to consistently create that environment and ensure that the building has the required operating certifications and required recordkeeping as required by codes and will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with all Federal, State and City property regulations.
- Provide overall leadership of facility maintenance, including planning, developing, and preforming preventative and routine maintenance schedules
- Ensure that our facility and grounds are functional, clean, organized, and inspiring.
- Develop capital and deferred maintenance projects and budgets.
- Supervise all cleaning, maintenance, and residence staff, coordinate with all branch department heads, achieves high level of productivity with available resources.
- Ensure that all mechanical infrastructure systems, electric, ventilation, HVAC and pool operation are well maintained.
- Complete repair work and projects in a timely manner. Where possible, self-perform repair work. Where necessary, oversees contractors.
- Work with outside agencies such as Fire Department of New York (FDNY), Department of Health (DOH), Department of Buildings (DOB), and Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) departments, to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations related to facilities and grounds.
- Advise management on maintenance issues and projects as requested.
- Maintain positive relationships with members, staff and vendors.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule and direct assigned staff and volunteers. Review and evaluation performance. Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Serve as Manager on Duty as needed.
- Provide leadership to the security team at the branch.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree in Facility Management or related field preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience supervising building operations and maintenance staff.
- Knowledge of building operation and fire safety codes and regulation required.
- Knowledge of project management, bidding, project proposals and preventative maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of budget management, volunteer development, building security, HPD codes and regulations strongly desired.
- Proven background in Electrical (NYC Codes), Plumbing (NYC Codes), Fire Protection System (NYC Codes), Building Construction and Management, Energy Conservation, Burner and Boiler.
- Must obtain S12, S13, W07, F01 and C42 certifications with in the first 90 days.
- Must obtain YMCA Pool certification within the first 180 days of employment where applicable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, a plus.
- Must be able to effectively manage self and others in a fast paced environment.
- Must be available to respond to emergency calls during off-hours, including evenings and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. To be considered for this position, please attach your proof of COVID-19 vaccination, along with your resume.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities