Building & Grounds Superintendent
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We will be opening a new state-of-the-art 50,000 square foot YMCA at 430 Westchester Avenue in the South Bronx and are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as the Building & Grounds Superintendent of the La Central YMCA.
The Building & Grounds Superintendent will provide leadership to the overall operation of the mechanical, housekeeping and life/safety systems of the La Central YMCA, including preventative and routine maintenance, fire safety, security and pool operating systems. In addition, this role will ensure that the building has the required operating certifications and recordkeeping as required by codes and will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with all Federal, State and City property regulations. The incumbent must possess knowledge of HVAC, steam, boiler, electrical and mechanical systems and experience supervising a 24/7 building staff.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule and direct assigned staff and volunteers. Review and evaluation performance. Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Provide overall leadership of facility maintenance, including planning and developing preventative and routine maintenance, capital and deferred maintenance projects.
- Supervise all cleaning and maintenance staff and coordinate with all branch department heads, to achieve high level of productivity with available resources.
- Ensure that our facility and grounds are functional, clean, organized and inspiring.
- Ensure that all mechanical infrastructure systems, electric, ventilation, HVAC and pool operation as well maintained.
- Complete repair work and projects in a timely manner. Oversee all contractors that work in the facility and grounds. May be requested to review bids, and recommend selection of contractors.
- Work with outside agencies such as Fire Department of New York (FDNY), Department of Health (DOH), Department of Buildings (DOB), and Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) departments, to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations related to facilities and grounds.
- Develop budgets supporting the preventative and annual maintenance plans and monitors expenditures against budget.
- Update facility plan periodically. May develop annual plan of capital projects, consistent with the YMCA’s strategic plan and community needs, capital improvements and deferred maintenance projects.
- Advise management on maintenance issues and projects as requested.
- Maintain positive relationships with members, staff and vendors. Show members, colleagues and outside vendors respect by listening carefully and showing empathy when dealing with a difficult situation.
- Oversee and manage branch maintenance budget including the procurement of housekeeping and maintenance supplies.
- Serve as Manager on Duty as needed.
- Provide leadership to the security team at the branch.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree in Facility Management or related field preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience supervising building operations and maintenance staff.
- Current Fire Life Safety Director Certification required.
- Knowledge of building operation and fire safety codes and regulation required.
- Knowledge of project management, bidding, project proposals and preventative maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of budget management, volunteer development, building security, HPD codes and regulations strongly desired.
- Proven background in Electrical (NYC Codes), Plumbing (NYC Codes), Fire Protection System (NYC Codes), Building Construction and Management, Energy Conservation, Burner and Boiler.
- Must obtain F85, S12, S13, W07, F01 and C41 certifications with in the first 90 days.
- Must obtain YMCA Pool certification within the first 180 days of employment where applicable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, a plus.
- Must be able to effectively manage self and others in a fast paced environment.
- Must be available to respond to emergency calls during off-hours, including evenings and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promote participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Building & Grounds Superintendent – La Central” to email@example.com or to:YMCA of Greater New York
Attn: Human Resources – 6th Floor
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities