SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flatbush YMCA is seeking an experienced applicant who will provide direct support to the young people enrolled in after school, camp and youth programs to ensure they are able to be mentally and emotionally present and displaying proactive behaviors and choices at M.S. 907, the Legacy School of Arts. The Behavior Specialist role will involve developing, managing and ensuring consistent implementation of the after school sites behavioral support systems including discipline policies, codes of conduct, individual behavior contracts, individual and group incentives. This can include directly addressing or consulting with other staff to address any behavioral and emotional issues that may arise day to day, or proactively. After-School programs operate from 2:00pm-6:00pm, Monday-Friday and during public school breaks.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Act as a mediator for participants in YMCA youth programs.
- Provide resources/information/coaching for young people and Y staff on social-emotional and behavior related issues.
- Lead/Co-lead workshops for participants on healthy emotional development and related issue for participants and staff training.
- Develop, manage and ensure consistent implementation of the after school sites behavioral support systems, including discipline policies, codes of conduct and positive reinforcement group and individual incentive systems.
- Create a resource center for participants, their families, staff and the host school to ensure ongoing support for topics and issues as they arise.
- Conduct technical assistance with YMCA staff in programming related to behavior challenges, engagement and social-emotional development.
- Consult with site management to ensure social-emotional development and behavior management is infused into all programs, services and lessons.
- Support implementation of systems for tracking student behaviors and consult with staff as needed, to identify individual behavior support techniques for students experiencing challenges.
- Provide support to students at risk of program suspension, by leading/co-leading individual behavior contract development meeting with the participant, guardians, and school personnel, and providing outside referrals as needed.
- Work with social work interns to provide purposeful roles that support the behavioral, emotional, psychological needs of the participants, if applicable.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School program to participants and care givers.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or related field. MSW/MHC student or graduate preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience working with youth.
- Must complete YMCA Mandatory Reporting Training within the first 180 days of employment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be available to work Monday thru Friday from 2:45pm to 5:30pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Behavior Specialist” to email@example.com to:Flatbush YMCA
Attn.: Vincent Punziano
1401 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, New York 11210
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities