Assistant Teacher I
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Flatbush YMCA is seeking an Assistant Teacher who will support the Head Group Teacher/ Group Teacher with implementation of; lesson plans and classroom activities, parent/ family engagement, classroom management, and adherence to all internal and external policies and procedures.
The Early Childhood Program operates, Monday – Friday, from August 29, 2022, through June 30, 2023.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Assist Head Group Teacher/ Group Teacher with implementation of developmentally appropriate lessons and activities; including but not limited to literacy, arts, math, cooking, science, outdoor/indoor recreation, field trips, etc.
- Guide students in their academic growth.
- Actively communicate with and engage parents and families.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the YMCA Branch.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and/or removing all potential hazards and by setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation; including by not limited to incident/ accident/ behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in/ sign-out sheets, development/ growth forms; document eating and sleeping, parent surveys, etc.
- Maintain equipment, storage, and supply inventory, as needed.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education (if applicable) guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, all training sessions, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Teacher Assistant certificate preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Must be available to work Monday - Friday from 8am to 4pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities