Assistant Teacher I (Broadway YMCA)
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Staten Island Broadway YMCA is seeking a part-time Assistant Teacher I who will support the Head Teacher with the lesson plans, classroom activities, parent / family engagement, and classroom management. The Assistant Teacher I will model positive social interactions and language and implement positive class management techniques and strategies. The incumbent’s practices must be consistent with guidelines put forth by the NYC Department of Health / Bureau of Day Care and must be in keeping with the mission and values of the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Assist Head Teacher with the implementation of developmentally appropriate lessons and activities; including but not limited to literacy, arts, math, cooking, science, outdoor/indoor recreation, field trips, etc.
- Guide students in their academic growth.
- Actively communicate with and engage parents and families.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the Broadway YMCA.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by setting up spaces and materials, and reporting and / or removing all potential hazards.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating, conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation, including, but not limited to, incident / accident / behavior reports, attendance sheets, and sign-in / out sheets.
- Maintain equipment, storage, and inventory of supplies, as needed.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Teacher Assistant certificate preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) years of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Center in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities