Assistant Controller - Operations (Association Office)
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The YMCA of Greater New York is looking for an Assistant Controller, who under the direction of, and in conjunction with, the VP Finance, will administer, maintain, and control accounting activity in accordance with the financial policies of the Association. This position is responsible for monthly and annual book close. In addition, the Assistant Controller will coordinate and oversee aspects of the Annual Financial Statement Audit.
This is a full-time position, based in New York City. At this time this role is expected to work remotely full-time, with a return to office arrangements in the future.
- Develop and manage systems, procedures, and instructions implementing accounting policies and programs governing the establishment and maintenance of records of the Association’s assets, liabilities, net assets, income, and expense.
- Work closely with the VP of Finance and Finance team and assist the Executive Directors and Business Managers in establishment and maintenance of records of the Association.
- Monitor and coordinate methods of information processing applications as they relate to the collection, analysis, and retrieval of financial information. Significant lead responsibilities with implementation of new systems including Salesforce and FinancialForce being rolled out in 2021.
- Lead the monthly and yearly book close for the Association and related financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Implement changes in GAAP.
- Assist in managing budgeting software applications for annual budgeting process. Work with staff across Association to ensure budget is prepared accurately and timely. Significant responsibilities in selection of, and implementation of, new budgeting software.
- Work with branches to ensure timely collection of accounts receivable.
- Coordinate and oversee aspects of the financial statement audit.
- Direct the preparation and filing of corporate tax returns and the coordination of all matters related to taxes.
- Supervise and train staff in a largely remote environment, with expectation of return to office in future.
- Responsible for other accounting areas and matters as assigned.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. CPA is required.
- At least four (4) years of successful experience, including not for profit accounting.
- Strong knowledge of financial software applications.
- Highly proficient with Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage projects from concept to completion within time constraints.
- Strong people management skills and ability to lead and motivate teams
- Exceptional analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and priorities.
- We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities