The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Rockaway YMCA is seeking an Aquatics Supervisor who will be responsible for maintaining safe conditions in and around the swim area at the Rockaway YMCA. The Aquatics Supervisor will promote a safe and positive atmosphere, in accordance with YMCA aquatics policies and procedures.
- Must be Rescue Ready: uniform, pocket face mask/gloves, whistle and rescue tube.
- Must be Instructor Ready: uniform, lesson plans, maintaining records (attendance, track progress and complete end of session report).
- Continuous and active scanning of the pool.
- Enforce aquatics safety rules consistently and fairly.
- Ensure instructional equipment remains in good condition; have all equipment ready prior to classes and put away after.
- Instruct participants according to YMCA aquatics program standards: using all 5 components, guided discovery, effective class organization and positive relationship with participants.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes.
- Assist the Aquatics Director with office duties including, but not limited to: retrieving and responding to messages, assisting with program and staff schedules, assisting in maintaining class ratios when needed, assist in covering Lifeguard and/or Instructor shifts when needed.
- Organize and perform private swim lessons, when needed.
- Provide on deck supervision during program times.
- Maintain positive relationships with members and staff.
- Must attain the YMCA Lifeguard certification within 90 days of hire and YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 120 days of hire.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness. Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard certification or equivalent.
- Current YMCA Swim Lessons certification or equivalent.
- Current CPRO, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen certifications.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Center in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities