The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
We will be opening a new state-of-the-art 50,000 square foot YMCA at 430 Westchester Avenue in the South Bronx and are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as the Aquatics Director of the La Central YMCA.
La Central YMCA will offer a range of programs serving youth and teens to older adults, including healthy lifestyles, afterschool programs, civic engagement programming for youth, swimming instructional classes and social, recreational, and health programming for older adults.
The Aquatics Director will provide direction and leadership to the Aquatics department of La Central YMCA. The incumbent will follow all YMCA of Greater New York and Department of Health aquatics standards to maintain safety for all aquatics programs in and around the swim area, and will lead by example to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor to aquatics staff.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate all aquatic staff.
- Know and understand all YMCA, state and local health and safety requirements, including Pool Safety Plan, Emergency Action Plan, Emergency Evacuation Routes and staff certifications.
- Maintain adequate staffing (recruiting, training, hiring and evaluating) of lifeguards, swim instructors and water exercise instructors, to deliver programs. Identify Deck Supervisor and Aquatics Coordinator candidates.
- Conduct in-service training as required by the YMCA association.
- Develop, implement, track, and control the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association budget guidelines.
- Review program schedules, capacity staffing and revenues to meet the community needs and YMCA mission.
- Maintain proper health and safety standards, in accordance with Association aquatics safety standards and guidelines.
- Collaborate and build relationships within the YMCA Branch, Association and community organizations, in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Maintain positive relations with participants, parents, members and staff.
- Serve as a role model to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor.
- Maintain all records, in accordance with law for pool maintenance, staff training and certifications, program member attendance and evaluation of participant skills, and Department of Health (DOH) requirements.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness.
- Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Attend Branch Board Meetings and/or Membership/Program Committee Meetings.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience supervising lifeguards and swim instructors.
- Current CPRO, Emergency Oxygen and First Aid certifications.
- CPRO, Emergency Oxygen and First Aid certifications.
- YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard certification or equivalent. Must obtain YMCA Lifeguard certification within 90 days of hire.
- YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification or equivalent. Must obtain YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 120 days of hire.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, a plus.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities