Afterschool Counselor - Queens
SALARY: $15.00+ P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The school year is quickly approaching and the Queens YMCAs are currently accepting applications for Afterschool Counselors to work at Y Afterschool programs. The Y is seeking the “best of the best” candidates to ensure that our program participants have the best experience of their lives.
When children enter the Y Afterschool program, a whole other world of imagination and growth opens up to them. In addition to supplementing what they have learned in school, they participate in interactive learning models that engage critical thinking skills, get assistance with their homework from trained YMCA staff, have a chance to socialize with each other, and form long-lasting friendships that enhance their development, growth and self-confidence. Y Afterschool programs are offered at dozens of sites throughout the city, most of which are New York City public elementary and middle schools, serving thousands of kids each year.
Who are we looking to hire?
We are looking for people who enjoy working with youth. People who are creative, have a passion about teaching youth new skills, are enthusiastic and model our four core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
What’s in it for you?
Aside from being a part of a greater movement and actively playing a role in developing our next generation, the Y offers so much more:
- Build your resume with marketable skills that include teamwork, creativity, communication and leadership.
- Work for an organization that consistently raises the bar and always looks towards being innovative – did you know the Y invented basketball?
- Have fun – while this is a serious job and safety is our number one priority, we conduct our days with all things fun.
- Take advantage of discount offers to Broadway plays, movie theaters, sporting events, comedy clubs and other special events throughout New York City, via our “Plum Benefits” program.
- Get a free gym membership. Our part-time staff receives a family city wide YMCA membership for the time of their employment.
Regularly scheduled part-time employees are eligible to enroll in benefits, including: medical insurance, 403(b) retirement savings, and many more.
A day in the life of an Afterschool Counselor
The Afterschool Counselor plays a critical role in the successful operation of the Afterschool program.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans, and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, character development, creative expression, community service, physical fitness, and/or nutrition.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for program activities.
- Assist children with homework and academic enhancement activities.
- Work cooperatively with program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior/incident/accident reports, as appropriate).
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; college credits preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with youth under the age of 13.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The afterschool season begins on September 9, 2019 and ends on June 19, 2020. Y Afterschool programs operate from 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm, Monday - Friday and during public school breaks.
How to apply?
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you have the fun, caring and engaging personality to be a part of our family, please send your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Afterschool Counselor.” Locations and contact information are below:
Attn: After School Director
238-10 Hillside Avenue
Bellerose, NY 11426
Attn: Frankie Carlucci
138-46 Northern Blvd.
Flushing, NY 11354
FlushingYF@ymcanyc.org Jamaica YMCA
Attn: Juliet Beecher
89-25 Parsons Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11432
email@example.com Long Island City YMCA
Attn: Julia Defeo
32-23 Queens Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101
Attn: Alexandra Reyes
69-02 64th Street
Ridgewood, NY 11385
Attn: Brittney Parks
207 Beach 73rd Street
Arverne, NY 11692
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities