Afterschool Coordinator - CS111
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The YMCA of Greater New York is seeking an Afterschool Coordinator who, under the supervision of the Community School Director, will play a critical role in providing academic enhancement and enrichment in the Y Afterschool program, including Holiday Camps; and ensuring the Y Afterschool programming is aligned and supportive of the broader school’s academic goals and common core standards at CS111. The Afterschool Coordinator will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school age children, providing opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Manage the day to day operations of the Y Afterschool and Y Core programs.
- Plan, create and ensure implementation of weekly lesson plans.
- Observe and assess the individual needs of children; handle student related issues.
- Assist parents in finding referrals to proper agencies for evaluations and remediation of children with special needs.
- Monitor and update all required staff training attendance and certifications.
- Ensure that supplies and equipment are available and kept safe.
- Fiscal contract management.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (participant files, staff files, YS.net data entry, attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y Afterschool program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or related field.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with youth.
- Current CPR/First Aid/RTE preferred.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Afterschool Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:YMCA of Greater New York
Attn: Marie Choi
5 West 63rd Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities