SALARY: $16.00 - $20.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Dodge YMCA is seeking Activity Specialists who, under the supervision of the Site Director, will play a critical role in providing academic enhancement and enrichment in the Y After School program, including Holiday Camps. The Activity Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth. Specifically, the Activity Specialist will prepare and provide age-appropriate STEM, Dance, or Sports instruction for grades K-5 in Y After School. Y After-School programs operate from 2:00pm-6:00pm, Monday-Friday and during public school breaks.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the area of STEM, Dance, or Sports.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of the specialized activity, including lessons that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with Afterschool Counselors, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for specialized activities.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. College credits and formal education in performing arts, biology or physical education/fitness preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth, specifically in the area of Science, Dance or Sports.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be able to work Monday thru Friday from 2:00pm to 6:00pm.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org to:Dodge YMCA
Attn.: Shana Bredwood
225 Atlantic Blvd.
Brooklyn, New York 11201
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities