SALARY: $15.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Bronx YMCA is an Activity Specialist who, under the supervision of the Center Director, will play a critical role in providing recreational activities and monthly activity schedule. The Activity specialist will also be responsible for scheduling all DFTA required workshops and plan trips as needed. The work site is located at Bronx YMCA New American Welcome Center, 2125 Glebe Avenue, Bronx, NY 10462.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the area of arts, dance, drama, music and/or sports.
- Coordinate and present a culminating tournament / event at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with After-School Counselor, professional staff, teachers and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in / out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
- Work with the Center Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for arts, dance, drama, music and/or sports.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with seniors through regular communication.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for arts, dance, drama, music and/or sports activities.
- Plan and coordinate all events monthly and Trips, as needed.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Must complete the Department of Health and FDNY appropriate trainings within 6 months of hire.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations and regulations.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent; college credits or degree in arts, dance, drama, music and/or sports preferred.
- Minimum of one years of experience working with adults or seniors preferred.
- Formal certification in arts, dance, drama, music and/or sports preferred.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be able to work mornings and afternoons during the week.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist” to email@example.com or to:
Attn: Selenie Villar
2 Castle Hill Avenue
Bronx, NY 10473
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities