Activity Specialist - Work Readiness Facilitator SYEP
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Harlem YMCA is seeking an Activity Specialist - Work Readiness Facilitator who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and facilitating teen programs that are related to work readiness, personal development, and life skills for SYEP participants. The Activity Specialist will also be responsible for meeting all deliverables relating to program funding streams.
The assignment is scheduled to begin on May 3, 2021 and will end on or about August 31, 2021.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Plan and implement work readiness programming for all participants based on need.
- Help participants develop necessary employability skills for internship success.
- Document, track, and maintain regular progress of participants. Provide feedback regarding participant progress as needed.
- Assist participants in developing self-confidence and self-efficacy.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Develop relationships with employers, successfully placing participants into jobs and providing on going retention services and supports to both the employer and the participant.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the SYEP Program to participants.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in Education or related field required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience planning and facilitating workshops for youth on workforce and career topics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to manage adolescent behavior with respect, maturity, compassion and encouragement.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application, and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Center in Cornerstone.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities