Activity Specialist - Early Childhood
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking an Activity Specialist. The activity specialist under the supervision of the Site Director, will play a critical role in providing enrichment in the Y Early Childhood Department. The Activity Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for preschool age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth. Specifically, the Activity Specialist will prepare and provide age-appropriate movement instruction for all children enrolled in our Early Childhood Program.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities that are age-appropriate, exciting, and challenging while simultaneously promoting developmentally appropriate gross motor skills.
- Teach participants structured games, and gross motor skills, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff, teachers, and administration.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Work with the Early Childhood administration to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for movement class.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Early Childhood Program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with teachers and administration through regular communication about the children’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for movement activities.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required; College credits and formal education preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with preschool age children, specifically in the area of gross motor play.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Site in Cornerstone.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities