Activity Specialist - Chess
SALARY: $30.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Greenpoint YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will play a critical role in providing academic enhancement and enrichment in the Y Enrichment program. The Chess Activity Specialist will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic / personal growth. The incumbent will prepare and provide age-appropriate instruction for grades K-5th through project based learning methods.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan, organize and coach diverse Chess curriculums/games that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of Chess, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating tournament / event at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with After-School Counselor, professional staff, teachers and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in / out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
- Work with the Site Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for chess curriculum and participation.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y Enrichment program to staff, participants, and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for chess activities.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations and regulations.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent; college credits or degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth.
- Must have one to two years of proven experience in Chess instruction.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be able to work mornings, afternoons and weekends.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist - Chess” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:Greenpoint YMCA
Attn.: Kayla Gordon
99 Meserole Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities