Afterschool Senior Counselor
SALARY: $13.50 P/H - $16.50 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Cross Island YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will assist in the successful operation of their After School and Holiday Camp programs. Positions are available at MS 210 and PS 134.
- Implement the Y After-School curriculum, helping school age children to improve literacy competencies, values and physical fitness in an activity based after school environment.
- Ensure the health, safety and well being of children in the program by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (incident reports, accident reports, behavior reports, attendance & sign-in / sign-out sheets).
- Provide support to any Specialist, in implementing activities.
- Assist children with homework and guide students in their academic growth.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA philosophy and the goals of the Y After-School Program to the students and parents.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of acceptance, consistency and fairness in which participants may flourish and increase their self-esteem.
- Serve as role model for participants.
- Actively participate in all designated meetings and special events.
- Attend the required 40 hours of staff training during the school year, including Saturday trainings.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, Department of Youth & Community Development and YMCA of Greater New York standards.
- Prepare the learning environment and necessary materials/supplies.
- Minimum of one of year of college coursework completed; Associate Degree in child development or related field preferred.
- Two years of experience working with youth and planning.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Afterschool Senior Counselor” to email@example.com or to:Cross Island YMCA
Attn: After School Director
238-10 Hillside Avenue
Bellerose, NY 11426
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities