Activity Specialist - Robotics
SALARY: $50.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The McBurney YMCA is seeking qualified individuals who will assist in the successful operation of the school age program. The Activity Specialist – Robotics will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school aged children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction and academic / personal growth. Specifically, the incumbent will prepare and provide age-appropriate Robotics instructions for grades K – 5th in Y Afterschool. The work site location will be P.S. 41 located at 116 W 11th Street, New York, NY 10011.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of Robotics.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of Robotics, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with After-School Counselor, professional staff, teachers and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in / out forms, behavior / incident / accident reports, as appropriate).
- Work with the Site Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for Robotics curriculum and participation.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After-School program to staff, participants, and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons and necessary supplies for Robotics activities.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations and regulations.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; coursework and formal education in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth, and one to two years of proven experience in the area of robotics, automation, and/or engineering instruction.
- General knowledge working with Lego Mindstorms EV3 and Lego WeDo 2.0 required.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be available to work Wednesdays and Thursdays, 3:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist - Robotics” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
125 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10011
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities