Cruise for a Cause - Thank you
Our 6th Annual Cruise for a Cause was a HUGE success!
The Cross Island YMCA hosted its 6th Cruise for a Cause, a Annual Campaign fundraiser on Saturday, June 2nd. This event was attended by about 275 YMCA members, program participants and staff. Families enjoyed a variety of family friendly entertainment, games and variety of live music for dancing, plus New York’s world-renowned skyline and a view of the Statue of Liberty. The event was a four-hour lunch family cruise around Manhattan.
Here's a fun rundown of all we did!
- We had a fun and memorable trip for our families, 275 people in total!
- A big thank you to Canteen Vending! Everyone really enjoyed the sandwiches, fruit, snacks and drinks. We had great sponsorships from local businesses, that provided our funds to support the cruise, food to feed our families, and snacks and drinks for all.
- Kids had their faces painted even before boarding, were welcomed with a lay around their necks while getting checked in and purchased raffles and snacks.
- Heading on to the ship they were greeted by none other than our Exec. Dana and Mr. America himself Uncle Dean, then they enjoyed their time make slime, making fun bracelets and necklaces and more at our arts and crafts table, also were made a great balloon of a teenage ninja turtle, or a pretty flower.
- On the 2nd deck they received temporary tattoos and lovely henna designs. Parents and some kids were very entertained while playing bingo with Fancy pants Dean and his very capable sidekick Joey!
- The kids and parents were having so much fun, then they climbed to the 3rd floor where nothing but good times were happening! From dancing, games and more dancing – everyone on the 3rd deck was moving and laughing! Not to mention how beautiful the boat looked with all the red, white and blue decorations thanks again!
- On the 3rd floor we briefly spoke about all we do at the Y including our membership special and summer camp programs. Also told everyone to save the date for Sept 22nd as Touch a Truck will be back! And I shared how we all miss and remember Arvin Batra and how he will always be a part of our lives and this event. Dana, our Exec shared how important fundraisers like this is as all the proceeds from this event impact our community. Zabo had the kids in ohh and ahhs during his magic tricks performance, Zumba was a hit with the kids, thanks to MJ and her amazing personality!
- When we docked we said our goodbyes and handed all our guests a little goodie to go home with.
- The best part is that the Cross Island YMCA Annual Campaign raised over $12,000 towards our 2018 goal to support our families and kids in our community so that no one is ever turned away!
The Annual Campaign funds donated from individuals in Queens go back to support Queens. No one is ever turned away. Our preschool and afterschool programs, our health and fitness programs, our aquatic programs, our programs for children and seniors— all of them are free for the people who need them most. Campaign leadership is made up of a group of outstanding YMCA volunteers from throughout Queens. This year, David Weisman of NYC Health + Hospitals / Queens, and Gareth Robinson Principal of Institute for Health Professions are co-chairs of the Cross Island Y Annual Campaign and are working with the volunteers and staff of Cross Island Y to meet its Annual Campaign goal of raising $279,000. “The Y is a fixture in Queens and a beacon of hope to many. The Annual Campaign helps provide families and kids in our community with the support they need to overcome adversity and to thrive” said David Weisman. “Please join us as we work together and support one another to make our home stronger.”
“With the Annual Campaign, we want more people to understand that we are more than where to go to exercise or swim – and that we rely on their financial support to do our vital work.” Dana Feinberg, Executive Director of the Cross Island Y.
To learn more about how you can support the Y’s cause or more upcoming family friendly events, please contact Jamé Krauter, Director of Communications and Fund Development at 718-551-9314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.ymcanyc.org/crossisland for more information. To watch stories of teens impacted by the Y visit www.youtube.com/ymcanyc.
Thank you and looking forward to our 7th Annual Cruise for a Cause!