60th Anniversary & Community Awards Gala
On November 9, 2017, The Cross Island Y 60th Anniversary and Community Award Gala & Auction was held at Antun’s in Queens Village. About 200 community philanthropists, business leaders, elected officials and YMCA supporters attended the Gala. This event celebrated and highlighted the past 60 years of all the Y does in the community that impacts families for good. Community leaders were awarded service awards for being advocates for the Cross Island YMCA.
Along with our Master of Ceremonies Monica Morales, New York’s PIX11 Reporter, and Gala Co-Chairs, David Weisman of NYC Health + Hospitals / Queens and Gareth Robinson of Institute for Health Professions, we were proud to announce our honorees. Most of them have been advocates for the Cross Island YMCA and others work with like-minded organizations that will lead us into the next 60 years with partnerships.
The honorees included:
- Christopher Roker • Executive Director of NYC Health + Hospitals / Queens
- Franck D. Joseph II • Managing Director, NYC Commission on Human Rights
- Brian Leung • Managing Director, Thomas H. Lee Capital, LLC was awarded the Murn Family Community Service Award
- Hank & Ronnie Arond • Board Member, Yoga Instructor, Members for 60 years
- Marie Slaughter • Correction Officer & COBA delegate & Antoinette Slaughter • 7th grader, Y Annual Campaign Volunteer
- Jean Dattner • Special Populations at the Cross Island YMCA was awarded the Lisa Beth Gerstman Community Service Award
Highlights of the evening included video presentations of member stories and how they have been impacted by the Cross Island YMCA. $10,000 was raised by a live auctioneer to support a Nurse for the Cross Island YMCA Summer Camp for Children with Disabilities. Overall about $20,000 was raised for the Cross Island YMCA Annual Campaign. All proceeds from this event will support the YMCA Annual Support Campaign which allows children to take part in our Summer Camp, Early Childhood Classes and many other YMCA programs. In 2017, we will provide over $274,000 in financial assistance to more than 250 local youth and families in need of YMCA programs and services.
Check out the Gala Photos on our Facebook page here.
We are still collecting memories... If you would like to share your Cross Island YMCA story, photos, videos please click below. Stories will be archived with YMCA of USA, and the Queens Library.